Charles E. Hazlett Memorial in Woodlawn Cemetery – Zanesville, Ohio

Civil2

Charles E. Hazlett during his final year at the Academy

Charles Edward Hazlett, shown above, was born in Zanesville, Ohio on October 15, 1838 to Robert Hazlett and Lucy Welles Reed. He attended Kenyon College near Gambier, Ohio for a year until he was accepted into the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. He graduates from the academy in 1861 and immediately went into service with the 2nd cavalry of the Union Army as the 2nd Lieutenant. However, he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant almost immediately and was put in charge of Battery D of the 5th United States Artillery.

Hazlett, now in command of his own regiment of men, led the men into battle numerous times during his time in the Civil War. Battery D used mostly the ten-pounder Parrott rifles that were commonly used as light artillery in the army. During one of his first battles as commander of the unit, his battery experienced near annihilation. That battle was the First Battle of Bull Run and it was said that Hazlett remained on Henry’s Hill as long as he possibly could before being ordered to retreat by General Hooker. Hazlett and Brigadier General Stephen Weed distinguished themselves in this battle as excellent commanders with great courage. Both continued to lead the regiment through rough battles like Antietam, Chancellorsville, and the Second Battle of Bull Run.

civil3

Parrott Rifle – It shot ten pound bullets and was used as light artillery

civil4

Brigadier General Stephen H. Weed

Their success as commanders of Battery D of the 5th United States Artillery was quite short-lived unfortunately. In attempting to take Little Round Top during the second day of battle in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, both men fell within minutes of each other. Battery D had been scaling to the top of the rocky hilltop, carrying the artillery equipment laboriously through the rifle fire of the Confederate soldiers. The common tale that is told is about how Weed fell mortally wounded during the battle and requested to see Hazlett to relay his final words. Hazlett arrived to hear his superior’s words but as he was leaning in to hear them he too was shot and suffered instantaneous death. He was shot in the forehead by a Confederate man just as his regiment had managed to establish control over the hill. The two men were given a monument on top of the hill where they both fell and Hazlett also received a monument in Zanesville, Ohio where he was buried.

civil5

Charles E. Hazlett’s grave and memorial located in Woodlawn Cemetery – Zanesville, Ohio

The memorial to Charles Hazlett is not the only grave memorial in the Woodlawn Cemetery. His brother, John Hazlett, also fell in battle while serving with the 2nd Infantry just one month before Charles did. The Hazlett family saw fit to bring Charles’ body to the Woodlawn Cemetery to be buried next to his brother after the Battle of Gettysburg had ended. Both brothers received the same memorial statue, like the one pictured above. Charles’ inscription reads:

Charles E.

Son of R. & L.W. Hazlett

Commander of Battery D 5th Regt. USA

Born in Zanesville, O.

October 15, 1838

Graduated at West Point in May 1861

and after being preserved in Safety through 11 battlesthen killed in battle at Gettysburg, Pa.

July 2, 1863

while bending over to hear the dying words of his commanding officer

John Hazlett’s memorial reads similarly with different dates and details on how he died of a wound he sustained at the Battle of Stone River. Pictured below is the view of the Charles Hazlett memorial with the John Hazlett memorial within view in the back. Both brothers were placed close to each other, but not directly next to each other, which demonstrates how there were several funeral processions between the two brothers in the month they had separating their deaths.

civil7

Both of these memorials represent the meaning of the two brothers to their family and to the community. However, in mid 2010 there was a car accident that caused the memorials of the two brothers to suffer serious damage. As a result, the Muskingum County Civil War Association Inc. gathered funds and donations to rebuild the monuments into the pictures that have been shown thus far. Pictured below is the original vandalized monument of Charles Hazlett. The Muskingum County Civil War Association Inc. decided to encase the inscription of the new memorial for the brothers in bronze to help preserve the integrity of the inscriptions.

civil8

After years of organizing and gathering funds, the Muskingum County Civil War Association Inc. also announced the arrival of a Hazlett Day in Zanesville, Ohio. May 14th, 2011 was the set day to be Hazlett Day in Zanesville where memorial services were held for the brothers along with a cannon discharge at 2 pm. At the grave sites, a rifle volley by the infantry and a three round salute by the light artillery were given in honor of the men who gave their lives for the war effort and died heroically.

 

 

 

 

 

Sources:

Stone Sentinels

Charles Hazlett – Details

Hazlett War Reports

5th United States Artillery Activity Log

Documents of First Lieutenant James C. Bush

Article on Hazlett Day – May 14th, 2011

Stone Sentinels – Details

Charles E. Hazlett

Hazlett Memorial Inscription

 

Picture Sources:

Charles Hazlett Photograph

Parrott Rifle

Brigadier General Stephen H. Weed

Hazlett Memorial – First Picture

Hazlett Memorial – Second Picture

Hazlett Memorial – Third Picture (Original)

Advertisements

Nelson T. Gant House in Zanesville, Ohio

The Nelson T. Gant house, located at 1845 West Main Street in Zanesville, is the house that has been preserved by the Nelson T. Gant Foundation for the purpose of keeping the history of Zanesville alive. The Nelson T. Gant Foundation was founded in 2001 with the purpose of restoring the Gant house and to revive the legacy of Nelson T. Gant for the building of character and community/cultural pride. Its purpose is to develop the Nelson T. Gant house into an historical, educational, cultural and charitable facility.
Nelson T. Gant was one of Zanesville’s most prominent African-American residents and was an important figure before, during, and after the Civil War. Pictured below, Gant contributed to the advancement of Zanesville as well as the abolitionist movement.

nelson (2)

 

Nelson Talbot Gant was born in Loudoun County in Virginia on May 10, 1821. He was born into slavery just as most blacks in the South were during this period of American history. His master used him as a body servant, meaning that he was a valet or personal maid (most likely valet). During his time as a slave, Gant met the woman of his dreams and married her in 1843. Anna Marie Hughes was a slave of a different owner with the last name Russell and was Gant’s crush since he was a young man. Upon his master’s death in September 1845, Gant received his freedom and he immediately began working to earn enough to buy his wife Anna from her owner. Nelson’s freedom was a gift from his former master, John Nixon, through his last will and testament. Had he not received such a gift from his former master, Gant could have been taken by the state or sold back into slavery with a new owner. Fortune smiled on him as his master’s dying wish was to free his slaves and let them choose their own fate in the world.

Nelson worked selling firewood in Virginia for a year following his master’s death then left to go to Zanesville to set up a house for he and his wife to live in once she was free. However, he grew anxious to retrieve her from captivity and tried to steal her in late 1846. They were caught in Washington D.C. and she was sent back to her owner while he was sent to jail. He was brought up on charges but was acquitted because a wife could not be compelled to testify against her own husband. With the help of the abolitionists and the Quakers in Zanesville, Gant bought his wife’s freedom in February 1847 and the couple moved into the house.

nelson2

Pictured above is the Nelson T. Gant House today. It has been restored and preserved as well as it possibly could be throughout the years since the Gants passed and the Nelson T. Gant Foundation was set up.

Nelson Gant returned to Zanesville with his wife and one year old daughter in tow to the house he built on the National Road, or Route 40. The family had good fortune with farming and their finances began to grow substantially using their 140 acres of land. They grew vegetables, sold blocks of ice cut from the Licking River, and they became a prominent influence in Zanesville once they purchased 160 acres that included a coal mine and a saltlick. This gave the family more wealth and influence over the community, even moreso after Nelson Gant became a leader in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.

The Gant family also partook in the abolitionist movement during the pre-Civil War era by helping the Underground Railroad. Nelson Gant was known to have helped slaves of all ages and genders to freedom through using his house a one of the stops for the Underground Railroad. The Gants were one of the former slave families that gave the runaway slaves hope for their own future and their own loved ones.

nelson3.jpg

Above is the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom marker placed in front of the Gant House. This marker, placed in 2004, identified the building as an Underground Railroad site

The Nelson T. Gant House is a historically significant building because of the history of its owner and the impact he had on the community and its growth. He and his wife made a small park named Gant’s Grove that was one of the first integrated parks in the state. This area eventually became the site of the Municipal Stadium, which hosts a plethora of events and exhibitions within its confines. The man known as Nelson T. Gant exercised a large amount of influence over the community through his connections to former slaves who arrived seeking freedom and the white abolitionists who had helped him achieve his goals. Gant was even fortunate enough to have met Frederick Douglass as they both sought the freedom of all blacks. His death on July 14, 1905 was a day of mourning for many people as he was a crucial part of so many people’s lives, especially during his abolitionist years and his leader of the church years.

nelson5

In the above photo is a closer view of the Nelson T. Gant House. The wear is very visible, especially on the first floor of the home, showing how the home has only survived thanks to the Nelson T. Gant Foundation’s careful work and dedication to preserving the site as an important historical piece of not only Zanesville’s history, but Ohio’s as well.

The architectural style of the home suggests that Nelson Gant built the two story home with the Greek Revival in mind. This architectural style of the 19th century was common during the years between 1835 and 1860. It is represented by the trabeated, or recessed, entryway surrounded by a porch with Doric or Ionic columns. This is clearly shown in the above picture with the doorway being slightly deeper in the wall of the home than the windows and the columns that help to hold the porch’s roof up. There is a level of symmetry in the architecture due to its Greek Revival design as well. This building is a perfect representation of what a normal home may look like in the Zanesville area during the era before the Civil War.

 

 

 

Sources:

Black History Stories Close to Home

Location of Nelson T. Gant House

Nelson T. Gant History

Gant History – OHC

Gant House – National Road

Zanesville Spots

Ohio Memory – Architecture

Nelson T. Gant Foundation

 

Picture Sources:

Photograph

Nelson T. Gant House

Historic Marker

Closer view of Gant House